Assisted Living Facility's License Suspended after Patient Wanders Away (Elopes)
The license of an assisted living facility was recently suspended by state regulators after a resident of the facility was permitted to wander away (elope) from the facility. The resident, who was insulin dependent and had schizophrenia, still has not been found. State regulators concluded the facility -- Unique Living, Inc. -- was not properly supervising its residents and that its residents were in imminent danger. The facility apparently has a track record of poor care and unsafe conditions. During the past several years, one resident died from choking on a sandwich and another died from scalding in a tub. The facility was also fined $16,000 in 2006 after a resident with diabetes and dementia wandered (eloped) from the facility and died. Read more about the assisted living facility's suspension.
A facility that allows its patients to die in tubs of scalding hot water is not properly supervising those patients. A facility that allows two residents to wander away (elope) and die within a period of only two years has systemic problems supervising its patients. This facility only cared for 60 patients -- not a good average! State inspectors were correct that patients of this assisted living facility were in imminent danger. Given that all 60 patients of the facility have now been moved to other facilities, I hope we can now say they are all in a better place.
Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.
Posted on Mon, September 15, 2008
by Robert Carter