Man Dies From Overdose Of Pain Patch Prescribed By Hospital
An autopsy shows a North Carolina man just discharged from a state psychiatric hospital died from a massive overdose of a painkiller given to him by the facility.
The 40-year-old man died in July of acute Fentanyl poisoning.
The synthetic opiate was the active ingredient in the pain patch he was prescribed at the hospital. A local newspaper reported that the drug has been linked to hundreds of overdose deaths nationally and is often abused by those seeking a high.
Doctors at a different hospital found one of the pain patches in the man's mouth.
He was admitted to the psychiatric hospital almost two weeks earlier seeking treatment for alcohol abuse and suicidal thoughts. For more, read the story.
Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.
Posted on Sun, November 29, 2009
by Stephanie Carter