All Residents Removed From Assisted Living Facility After Two Residents Found With Bed Sores

Social service workers removed five patients from an assisted living facility Thursday night after concerns about sub-standard care.

No charges had been filed against managers of the assisted living facility Thursday, but Adult Services shut it down.

Just before 9 p.m. Thursday, Adult Services was called to the facility because of two men who reportedly had bed sores (pressure sores, pressure ulcers, decubitus ulcers). They were taken to the hospital and the other 3 residents of the home were moved to other nursing homes.

The two men who were hospitalized will be checked out and moved to other homes in the next day or so.

What their conditions are will play a big role in whether and what kind of charges will be filed.

"It depends on if there was neglect," said the State Long Term Care Ombudsman. "They could be potentially prosecuted."

The investigation is ongoing but some neighbors who live nearby said "It's about time something was done" because of the sub-standard care at the home. For more, read the story.

_______________________________________________________________

Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.